Texas Longhorns with newborn calf in Bluebonnets

Texas Longhorns with newborn calf in Bluebonnets

Please note I have a new phone number...

512-517-2708

Alan Maki

Alan Maki
Doing research at the LBJ Library in Austin, Texas

It's time to claim our Peace Dividend

It's time to claim our Peace Dividend

We need to beat swords into plowshares.

We need to beat swords into plowshares.

A program for real change...

http://peaceandsocialjustice.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-progressive-program-for-real-change.html


What we need is a "21st Century Full Employment Act for Peace and Prosperity" which would make it a mandatory requirement that the president and Congress attain and maintain full employment.


"Voting is easy and marginally useful, but it is a poor substitute for democracy, which requires direct action by concerned citizens"

- Ben Franklin

Let's talk...

Let's talk...

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sleepless nights...

A few weeks back when I called the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to inquire about the two crooks that had been hired to work at the Dresden nuclear power plant ( http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/news/2013/13-039.iii.pdf ) I got into a discussion about another issue which has stuck in my head and I can't get it out. I even wake up early in the morning thinking about it.

Here is what has been troubling me...

Somehow I got away from the main issue I called about and we started talking about Fukushima and "accidents."

I have been assured by the woman I talked to at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Victoria Mitlyng that nuclear power plants are safe; that Fukushima is a rare occurrence--- she explained it as a rare "accident."

And then in the next breath she told me there are no guarantees in life against accidents.

Well, I was forced to concur; we all know this.

I asked her if she knew of any other industry where accidents could result in such catastrophic harm and destruction.

She told me I didn't think logically because the nuclear power industry has had so few accidents.

So, I said, "As long as there are no accidents the nuclear power industry is a very safe industry." She responded, "Yes."

I responded by saying, "It is very comforting to know that the nuclear power industry knows how to deal with everything except accidents.

She replied, "How can we ever prevent accidents?"

I said, "My point exactly."

She responded, "That is your spin Mr. Maki."

Now that I have pulled this thought out of my head and written it down I hope this thought about nuclear power and accidents doesn't bother and torment anyone else.