THE Nobama Coalition Cape Town (NCCT) is calling on the South African Government to stop United States president Barack Obama's visit to Africa.
On Thursday 20th June 2013 a growing group of organisations gathered at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town to form the 'Nobama Coalition Cape Town'.
The group is aligning itself to the already formed Nobama Johannesburg.
The aim of the Coalition is to mobilize widespread protest against Obama’s visit to Africa while exposing US imperialism.
So far activists from the following organisations are part of the Coalition:
Gugulethu Anti Eviction Campaign, Newfields Village Anti-Eviction Campaign, Zilleraine Heights Community in struggle, Consumer Fair, Concerned Education Forum, Anti-War Coalition (Cape Town), Muslims against Illegitimate Leaders, Muslims Against Global Oppression, Struggle Veterans, Mitchell’s Plain activists, Workers International Vanguard Party.
NCCT has also noted that the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) also supports the campaign and is discussing how to broaden its specific support.
The NCCT also remarked that the Nobama Campaign in Johannesburg consist of the following organisations:
South African Communist Party (SACP), the Young Communist League of South Africa (YCL), the South African Students Congress (SASCO), the Muslim Students Association(MSA), the National Education, Health and Allied Workers Union(NEHAWU), the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU), Friend of Cuba Society (FOCUS), Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions against Israel in South Africa (BDS South Africa), the World Federation of Trade Unions (WFTU) the UJ Coalition.
On the Basic Platform: The USA under the leadership of Obama has escalated its assault on human rights, militarization of international relations and continuing galloping of world resources at the absolute expense of the environment and oppressed peoples of the world.
· Monopoly capitalists and banks, mainly from the US are responsible for the ongoing plunder of trillions of dollars of wealth from Africa each year. This is the main reason why most of the youth have no future - the masses are unemployed and the few who work, earn starvation wages. Much more is stolen from Africa than is received in ‘aid’. We demand all the stolen wealth to come back; In fact US and other imperialism are responsible for the plunder of the world
· Africom out of Africa; end the drone wars and imperialist wars of plunder such as in DRC; stop warmongering and genocide in Syria and elsewhere
· Free all the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay prison- shut it down;
· Free the Cuban 5
· End the blockade on Cuba
· We reject the Freedom of Cape Town and the Honourary Doctrate awarded by the University of Johannesburg to Obama with the contempt it deserves.
· Any diamond sent to Israel by Anglo American and others, are blood diamonds; end all support for Israel; we demand 1 Palestine, no Bantustan
· Free Bradley Manning (the United States Army soldier who was arrested in May 2010 in Iraq on suspicion of having passed classified material to the website WikiLeaks. He was ultimately charged with 22 offenses, including communicating national defense information to an unauthorized source and aiding the enemy).
NCCT also demands that Imperialists must:
Stop snooping on our e-mails, phone calls and social networking! Halt the unleashing of your Al Qaeda forces on the World’s people!
The United States of America is the single largest contributor to global warming which is condemning the world into catastrophic environmental disasters.
"We also support the call by the Muslim Lawyers Association for the arrest of Obama, their complaint was made in terms of international customary law, as well as the implementation of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, Act 2002 (the ICC Act).
· Mobilise and invite other progressive organizations to join the Nobama Coalition